DIY: How to install iOS 7 on your Apple iPhone 4S
Apple's latest operating system, iOS 7 is here and KYMI shows you how to get iOS 7 beta for your iPhone 4S right now
Apple's much awaited latest iOS iteration, iOS 7 is available as a developer beta. If you don't mind jumping through some loops, you can get the iOS 7 for your iPhone 4S today.
DIY technique includes you to be willing to participate, be ready to shell $99 (roughly Rs 5,400) a year and be ready to take some risks. Just like any other beta product, the iOS 7 beta preview has its share of risks which includes crashes, bugs, the chance of losing data or even having your device bricked.
If you have checked all the boxes above, then you are set to dive in.
1. First most importantly, back up your device.
2. Now head to the Apple Developer Program and sign up. As you would expect the site is in demand and can be really slow at times, so be patient while it loads or better still head back after 2-3 days.
3. As we mentioned above the iOS 7 beta is not free and signing up for the Apple Developer Program will cost you $99 for a year. Once you are in, head to the iOS Developer section and look for the iOS 7 section.
4. Make sure you have your device's UDID registered in the Developer Center before you start installing the iOS 7 beta.
5. The next step is to download the right version of the iOS 7 beta for the iPhone 4S you have.
7. Now you need to open the .dmg file and extract the iOS beta file. Just look for the file which ends with '.ipsw.'
8. Once the download is complete, connect your device to a computer and fire up iTunes.
9. Now simply tap on the 'iPhone' button in iTunes, which brings up your device's stats. Make sure that you have your device backed up here - that's very important.
10. Now you need to hold the 'Option' button and then hit the 'Restore iPhone' button.
11. You will see that you are provided with a file chooser window. At this point you need to make a selection. Pick the iOS 7 beta file you just downloaded.
12. Within 10 odd minutes you should be looking at the latest iOS 7 version on your iPhone 4S.
Well if you follow through the steps, do share your experience of the new iOS 7 with us below.
If you want to read more about the latest Apple iOS and how it stacks up with its predecessors and the rival platforms like Android key lime pie, Windows Phone and BlackBerry 10 you can check out the links below: