Lost your smartphone? Top 25 apps that can save the day
KYMI rounds up 25 apps that can come to your rescue in safeguarding and retrieving your lost or stolen mobile phone
Losing a device can be a nightmare, but there are ways that can help you safeguard your information and even track your device. We roundup the 25 best ways to help you in tracking and finding your lost or stolen phone:
1. Google Android Device Manager: While there are several third-party apps to track, lock and wipe your missing Android phone, Google's very own Android Device Manager which was launched last fall makes for the best bet. The Android Device Manager allows you to locate Android devices associated with your Google account, reset your device's screen lock PIN and wipe all data from the phone thereby safeguarding your private information.
2. Cerberus Anti theft: This complete anti-theft application has many people swearing by it. Available for free for a week, this paid app, brings a gambit of security features under its wings. The device brings remote control through the website www.cerberusapp.com to locate and track the device, lock the device with a code, record audio from the microphone and more.The app automatically enables GPS and works even if the device does not have an internet connection thanks to remote control by sms messages. Other features include complete uninstall protection,GPS auto-enabling and more. The best part is that it does not impact the battery as the app doesn’t run in the background all the time.
3. Control ME
A completely free app which brings control of your Android phone to your fingertips. Some of the features include, remote profile changer, remote call divert, remote contact fetcher and more. This application will be stored in your phone's Internal Memory only. If you face issues uninstalling the application, follow the steps:
1. Go to Setting -> Location and security
2. Select Device Administrators
3. Deactivate for Remote Phone Lock
Note: Remote Call Divert , Remote Call Rejection and Mobile Tracker features will work only with Master SIM card in Dual SIM android phones.
4. PhoneLocator Pro: This app brings on board some unique security features which comes in quite handy. Apart from the usual set of security features like tracking and locking, wiping data, obtaining log of calls made from the phone, this app also has the ability to remotely activate the phone’s camera and send you pictures if it encounters an unsuccessful unlock attempt.
5. Sony my Xperia( Specifically for Sony Xperia users): Keeping in mind the security of smartphones, several manufacturers have introduced built in security features that come in handy if your device is lost or stolen. Sony has introduced a new security app called the - my Xperia app.
Present in all its Xperia handsets (from 2012 onwards), the app assists users in locating their device, locking it and even remotely erasing the data from it. This includes erasing data from both the internal as well as external SD card (provided the external card is still in the card slot.)
Users can sign up/ login using their Google ID to my myxperia.sonymobile.com and activate the app by going to ->Settings->My Xperia app-> Activate.
6. FoneFinder ( compatible with Nokia Symbian devices): Want to get back your lost mobile phone? 'FoneFinder' is here to your rescue. Upon detecting a new SIM, the app sends alert message to your friendly numbers and helps track down lost phone.
Additionally if it detects a new SIM, it raises an alarm (seriously, a loud siren) ,which can come handy in locating it even in crowded place. Also it can't be removed from your phone that easily by a thief, because it comes with uninstall prevention feature.
7. Lockwatch app: Lockwatch emails you with a photo and GPS location when someone tries to unlock your phone with a wrong password.
The app also determines the phone's location using GPS and WiFi so you can locate the thief. There is no need for a third-party lock screen and best of all the app does not drain the battery. Note: The app only runs when the wrong password is entered.
8. GPS Tracking Pro: Utilizing 28 satellites to triangulate the exact location of the phone, this app proves to be a very reliable and highly accurate cell phone tracker. If the device is out of the satellite view, then the app uses triangulation via the nearest cell phone tower and cell phone carriers’ data to identify the missing cell phone’s location.
9. Bitdefender Anti-Theft: Locate, lock or wipe your lost or stolen Android devices anytime, anywhere. This app is difficult to uninstall by strangers and provides an additional layer of intelligent protection for mobile devices. If a thief tries to change the SIM card, a predefined number will always be notified when that happens. In addition it also allows you to wipe data from your device, remotely command it to make a sound.
The app is offered for free for 30 days.
10. SeekDroid: Find My Phone: Another useful free app - SeekDroid: Find My Phone- assists you in finding your phone or tablet anywhere in the world.
All you need to do is install the app on your device and create a username and password when the application launches. Also make sure GPS is enabled and your Google account is setup on your device. That's all! You can do everything else from their secure website at seekdroid.com.
The app includes features like:
- Control Multiple devices under one account
- Locate your device
- Remotely Enable GPS
- Display its location on a map with history
- Audible alarm (even on silent)
- Setup SeekDroid Remotely via SMS
- Lock device w/ custom code
- Remotely wipe SD Card and more