How to set up and use Wi-Fi on the Samsung Corby
We show you how to set up and use Wi-Fi on the Samsung Corby
The Samsung Corby is equipped for fast online browsing and downloads, using high-speed HSDPA 3G connectivity and Wi-Fi.
You can use the Samsung Corby with any regular Wi-Fi networks - at home, on office networks or via public Wi-Fi hotspots.
The procedure for connecting to and using Wi-Fi is simple. We take you through the process below...
NOTE: Security, keycodes and MAC address
- Ensure that you have the appropriate network key code needed to enable you to access a secure Wi-Fi network.
- If you are connecting to a secure Wi-Fi network with MAC address restrictions, you will require pre-authorisation for the router. You will need to find your Samsung Corby's MAC (Media Access Control) address. This is a 12-character code which may be needed by the network controller to enable the phone to connect. See Getting the Samsung Corby's MAC address below.
Setting up Wi-Fi
You can get to the Wi-Fi application either via the main menu or using a homescreen Wi-Fi Widget.
- To get to the Wi-Fi application via the main menu, press the Menu button (either on the home screen or the hexagonal button beneath) (Figure 1).
- In the main menu, swipe your finger sideways to go through the menu pages until you see the Wi-Fi icon (Figure 2). Press to select.
- The Wi-Fi application opens (Figure 3).
- Alternatively, to use the Wi-Fi Widget, from standby, press the home screen. The Widget toolbar opens up (Figure 4).
- Scroll down to find the Wi-Fi Widget icon (Figure 5). Press the Wi-Fi Widget. The Wi-Fi Widget will pop up on the main screen (Figure 6).
- Press the Wi-Fi Widget on the main part of the display to launch the Wi-Fi application. The Wi-Fi application opens (Figure 3).
- Once in the Wi-Fi screen, press the large Wi-Fi button in the middle of the screen to turn it on. Wi-Fi is activated and the button turns blue (Figure 7).
- Press Search. Nearby Wi-Fi access points (APs) will appear as small circles on the display, with their names next to them (Figure 8),
- Press the circle representing the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to. An options panel appears (Figure 9).
- You can press Connect to connect to the network or press Add if you want to add it to a list of preferred networks for easy access later.
- You are taken into a settings menu for the Wi-Fi access point (Figure 10). If the Wi-Fi access point requires a network key code, scroll down to the Network Key panel (Figure 11). Press to select.
- The numberpad appears. Type in the network key code and press Done (Figure 12). You are returned to the previous settings screen. Press Save (Figure 13).
- A list of Connections appears (Figure 14). Press the back arrow button.
- If you initially pressed Connect, the phone will connect to the selected Wi-Fi network and a confirmation message will appear. The display now shows the new connection, illustrated by blue dots linking the circles onscreen (Figure 15).
- If you initially pressed Add, you will be returned to the Wi-Fi screen. Press the circle representing the Wi-Fi network you want to connect to. A pop up panel appears (Figure 16).
- Press Connect. You will be connected and the connection illustrated onscreen (Figure 15).
Press the back arrow button to return to the home screen.
Launching the browser
- From the home screen press Menu to enter the main menu (Figure 1).
- In the main menu, press Internet (Figure 17).
- Choose which browser option you want (Home, Enter URL, Bookmarks, etc.) (Figure 18) and press to select. If you press Home you will be taken to the pre-loaded home page.
- If required, use the numberpad to type in an URL or scroll a list to select bookmarks. When an URL is completed press Go. Alternatively press the bookmark you wish to access. You will taken to the web page requested (Figure 19).
Getting your Samsung Corby's MAC address
- Activate Wi-Fi and press Search, as before (Figure 7).
- When the Wi-Fi access point you want to connect to appears on the display (Figure 8), press it to select.
- A pop up options panel appears (Figure 9). Press Details.
- Details of the Wi-Fi access point appear onscreen (Figure 20).
- Scroll down by dragging your finger up the screen. Towards the bottom of the settings list, Device MAC appears, with a string of 12 charactesr beneath (Figure 21). Each handset has an individual MAC address, and this panel will display your Samsung Corby's unique MAC address.
Make a note of the MAC address. You will need it if you want to use the Samsung Corby's Wi-Fi to access a secure Wi-Fi network using MAC address restrictions. This can be added into the wireless router settings access list.